Thanks to research by the local history group, we’ve found out a little of the history of Wheeldon Trees Farm…
Wheeldon Trees was a working dairy farm until the late 1980s. In the
large barn, the downstairs accommodation would have been where the cows
used to sleep whilst the first floor was used as a hay loft for winter
‘Wheldontees’ appears for the first time in the 1607 Star Chamber
records. It is also shown on Haywards 1614 Survey of Hartington Manor
as Whildon tree. The same survey records a Whildon family in Earl
Sterndale. Edward Whildon was described as a copyholder with arable
land in Old and New Field in Earl Sterndale. There are other Whildons
mentioned in the 1614 survey.
The survey plan shows a group of 3 buildings within the boundary of
Whildon Trees and in the possession of Elizabeth and Richard Goodwin,
apart from a small close occupied by Thomas Aire sic (presumably Eyre).
The fact that Whildon was a locative surname in 1614 implies there were residential buildings here some time before this date.
At the front of our own house (the farmhouse), look carefully and you’ll see a blocked–up doorway above which is the date ‘1682’ !