Responsible Visitor Charter
Seven things you can do to help us look after Wheeldon Trees Farm, The Peak District – and our planet !
Here in the beautiful Peak District, we are fortunate to live in one of the most stunning and remarkable areas of England. This is our privilege and we do our best to look after this precious gift.
We need your help !!
We can all reduce our impact on the environment by making choices. As a visitor you can play a very important role in conserving our natural assets and helping The Peak District become a more sustainable destination.
Here are some ideas on what you can do to help during your stay :
1. Conserve Energy
– reduce energy use by switching off lights and closing doors and windows if the heating is on. Please only turn the heating up if necessary (but do make sure it’s warm enough !)
2. Give the car a rest
– Leave the car behind, if only for a day…
– Take one of our self-guided walks
– We’ve got on-site bike hire thanks to our friends at Peak Pursuits
Use public transport
– Bring us your bus tickets and we’ll give you your money back !
3. Shop Local
– This supports the local community, gives you a flavour of the area that you have come to visit and reduces food miles. We are fortunate to have some fantastic producers of food, drink and arts and crafts.
4. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
– Use the ‘bags for life’ you’ll find in your cottage and say no to that extra carrier bag. Buy unpackaged or simply packaged goods and food.
Please support us in our efforts to recycle !
5. Be Water Wise
– Even though you might see a lot of it falling out of the sky, please consider how you use water. Take a shower instead of a bath (or even share a bath ?!), and remember to turn off the tap when brushing your teeth…
6. Respect nature
– Help us to look after the landscape and wildlife by following the Countryside Code: Dispose of your litter appropriately, guard against fire and use footpaths and cycle-ways responsibly.
7. Support Green businesses
. There are many businesses in the region trying to reduce their environmental impact. We are proud members of the Peak District Environmental Quality Mark and the Green Business TourismSchemes – look out for other businesses that display these awards !
Most importantly - have a great time while you’re here - we’d like you to come back!