My Favourite Places to Eat
Taking a self-catering holiday doesn't mean you have to self-cater EVERY meal...
With so many great places to choose from, our guests have told us which are their favourites - and why...
The Royal Oak, Hurdlow
- Good portions – so go hungry !
- Staff very friendly
- Plentiful good food and real ale
- 20oz T-bone steak and white chocolate cheese cake – just fab, but you can’t move after you have eaten it !!
- Really great place to eat, but make sure you book
- Spot on, lots of choice of good food, friendly staff and nice atmosphere J
- Our favourite ! Very large menu and all meals were delicious; staff friendly and accommodating
- Dogs not only allowed, but cuddled !
- Would recommend half portions if possible if you want to have room for a pudding
- Yum ! Dishes were amazing and service was great
- Super helpful and friendly staff. Dogs very welcome
- We walked for lunch with our 2 dogs. Excellent food, very reasonable and delicious. Walked back and had to have a nap !
- My 12 year old son had a child’s portion and this was plenty
- + numerous other recommendations !!!!
The Dining Room in Ashbourne
- Amazing food – book the tasting menu on Saturday night
The Packhorse Inn, Crowdecote
- Very welcoming with good food
- Good food and drink – 12 of us enjoyed a lovely meal
- Excellent food, very friendly landlord and dogs welcome too…
- Friendly service; Landlord and landlady were very accommodating and arranged parking for wheelchair user. Good menu, high quality food. There’s a 1.5 mile shortcut from Wheeldon Trees, so can walk there
- Extremely dog friendly. Delicious sandwiches at lunchtime, with chips as a side which tasted like they were from a seaside fish and chips J
- The staff were great – making sure we had everything we needed; the food was delicious, honest, rustic pub food
- Superb evening meal, their lamb pie succulent meat in crisp pastry - delightful !
- Great food, fantastic puds, lovely atmosphere
- Amazing vegetarian options
- We had a wheelchair user in our party and have been amazed at how accommodating everyone has been. The bar lady even offered us a lift back to Wheeldon Trees after our meal !
- + numerous other recommendations !!!!
Chatsworth Farm Shop Restaurant
- Quality very good, prices reasonable, service good
Tea Room at Longnor Craft Centre
- Oat cakes with cheese and mushroom filling for lunch – Gr8 !
- Walked from Wheeldon Trees but couldn’t sit inside as had dogs; staff very helpful though in providing us with take-away teas and the most delicious carrot cake
Fischer’s at Baslow Hall, Baslow
- Well worth the recommendation for the 2013 lunch menu – plus 10% discount with our Privilege Card
Cock and Pullet, Sheldon
- Friendly service, menu was small but food was homemade and tasty. Dog friendly
- Really nice atmosphere and about 30 clocks which all chime on the hour !
The Peacock, Bakewell
- We sat in the beer garden for a light lunch. Be prepared – the open sandwiches are massive ! Good quality, fresh food
- Go early for lunch – get’s busy !
- Recommend the ‘Surf & Turf’ – portion so big it arrives on a breadboard
Fredericks Ice-cream Parlour, Bakewell
- Try their Bakewell Pudding ice-cream
800 BC Cafe, Matlock
- Warm welcome. Staff happy to rearrange furniture to fit wheelchair. Good lunch menu, dog friendly
- Realliy friendly and accommodating, letting the four of us and 2 dogs inside when it rained. Doorstep sarnies !
Cobbles Café, Longnor
- Good cakes and ice cream
- Wonderful cream teas
Hassop Station, on the Monsal Trail, near Bakewell
- Excellent coffee
- Bike hire
Devonshire Arms, Beeley
- After a walk on Beeley Moor, we stopped to have lunch here. No need to book in the day as it’s first come, first served. The food was superb as was the service. Great Children’s portions; highly recommended
The Garden Tea Rooms, Over Haddon
- On the road down to the river from the village car park
- Open in fine weather only as outside seating only
- Very dog friendly as are the proprietors
- Delicious, freshly baked cakes
- Generous portions and beautiful views of Lathkill Dale. Not to be missed !
- Serves fancy but well sized French cuisine. We had great food and good service and well worth the price – was worth dressing up for !
Fish and Chip Shop, Longnor
- Eat in or take away (3 minutes drive) - 10/10 !
Beresford Tea Rooms, Hartington
- A great pot of tea, delicious/wicked bakewell pudding, and toasted teacakes. Very generous ice creams too...
National Trust Manifold Tea Rooms, Ilam Hall
- Lovely food and great cakes
No. 6, Buxton (opposite the Opera House)
- A Georgian oasis of calm and cake...
- Great value light lunches
The Bull's Head, Monyash
- Brilliant food
- Fabulous children's playground to keep them entertained
- Very dog friendly
- Be prepared to wait for food - especially when busy
The George, Alstonefield
- Quiet and relaxing atmosphere
- Excellent service and high quality food
The Tea Cottage, Edensor
- Cracking tea and massive slabs of delicious cake !
- Great stopping point on the Chatsworth Estate Walk
The Monsal Head Hotel, Monsal Head
- Great pub with stunning views
- Cosy indoors if the weather's not so good
Staffordshire Knott, Sheen
- Delicious dinner - really excellent
Cafe at the Green Pavillion, Buxton
- Great for lunch
- Fantastic home-made soups, sandwiches, salads + other dishes
Old Smithy Tearooms, Moneyash
- Lovely ice cream on the village green
Charlotte's Chocolates, Buxton
- Serves the most delicious hot chocolate - choice of plain, milk or white